For the identification of insects and other fauna and flora of South Africa.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Snake / worm thingy

UPDATE: During my years in the bush I have come across many wonderful, brilliant people and Arno Naude is one of them. He is from SA Reptiles and knew the snake I described immediately. It is a Slender Thread Snake (Leptotyphlops Gracitior), completely harmless and the one I have is about half the size to which they normally grow. Not much is known about them but they think it eats ant larvae.
THANK YOU ARNO!!! It is much appreciated!!!
Anyone have any idea what this is??? I found it in the garden yesterday and it is so pretty but I cannot find out what it is. It is about 5 inches (11cm) in length and pencil-thin, silver with the black markings. Its head is not snake-shaped and it does not rear up as snakes do when you touch it so I do not think it is a snake. It does look as if it has scales though but is too small to take a better picture and it also does not keep still so I can use another lens.

I have sent it to our local snake park to see if they can help me with a name, but have not had a reply yet.
The head.......

Close-up of the skin...