For the identification of insects and other fauna and flora of South Africa.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Cycads 2

The cycads were very pretty this year and always remind me of someone very special. When the seed pod starts to develope it seems to be protected by the small shoots around it.
The pods of this particular species are low on the ground and surrounded by leaves.
It gets to be a tall pod and at the bottom of each seed are what look like spores. Maybe someone knows and can tell me what they actually are.
At first I thought they might be bug eggs but I watched them carefully and never saw anything crawling on them.
The summer progressed and the pods became dry and eventaully died off. I have taken a few home to see if I can cultivate them.
For more information on cycads, please click on this link.