For the identification of insects and other fauna and flora of South Africa.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

African Star-chestnut / Tick Tree (Sterculia africana)

Family Sterculiaceae
A thick stemmed tree growing only 5-12 meters in height. The bark peels and flakes to reveal a beautiful pastel-colored underbark.
 The seeds resemble fat, engorged ticks, hence its other name and the hair around the pod can be an irritant to the skin.
It has the pretties flowers which are extremely small (maximum ¾” in diameter).
 The tree produces a gum but not enough for commercial use.



The wood is soft and fibrous and is used in making rope and mats.
 Taking a closer shot of it, I discovered the tiniest, most unusual little spider. The widest part of it, across the legs, could not have been more than 4mm. This is one I almost missed but then saw the difference in color to the petal which alerted me to it’s presence.
 I have checked all over and cannot even begin to classify it. I would guess at it being some kind of crab spider judging from the legs but I have never seen one this shape or this hairy.


If there anyone who can give me more info on it, please do, it would be highly appreciated.