For the identification of insects and other fauna and flora of South Africa.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Pilansberg - Wild Flowers - Part 1

I went to Pilansberg over the past weekend to do some bug hunting and everything is very lush and green.
They have had a lot of rain there with dams, stream and river overflowing. Because of the rain, there are ticks everywhere and so walking looking for bugs was out. I then decided to do the wild flowers, something I have been wanting to do for a long time but never seem to get around to.

Although I am calling this series "Flowers" I did run across a bug and animal or two and will insert them here too.
When the gates opened at 05:30 it was still fairly dark and at the first watering hole I saw these hippo out of the water, heading back down from where they had been grazing. It was too dark to see properly so I took a few pictures and this one came out good enough to post, the others are really AWFUL!! LOL!!
There was a mushroom with a pretty edge along the road and I could not resist a shot of it.
A baby Elegant Grasshopper. They get to be really beautiful and colorful when older, in about 6 weeks from this stage.
The young giraffe had an itch and was scratching his head against the tree. It must be awful trying to find the right size tree to rub it against. :)
In the distance was one of the dams I was heading for and the water was running over the sluice gates. It is the first time I have been there that I have seen this as it is actually quite a dry area.